Sunday, September 4, 2011

Glasgow or bust!

We made it to Philadelphia safe from Columbia and the excitement grew. We walked around, ate at Chicky & Pete's. Which was actually good. Phil chose it even though I thought it was the funniest name but it was good. I had a philly cheese steak and he had some fish thing I believe. we split some fries, had a coke and awaited the second flight together. This was our first trip riding in a plane together so it felt extra special (to me at least)

On the way to our first destination, Glasgow, we had pretty good seats. Bulk head seats with the extra leg room. We had a window seat and a middle seat but I asked the older man if he wanted the window seat and phil and I were the middle and end seat! Even more leg room!

The man was from Hilton Head ironically enough. He and some of his friends were traveling to St. Andrews to play golf. He reminded me a bit of my dad and a bit of my great uncle Travis. Dry wit, charming and knows what he wants.

It was a tedious chore trying to sleep on the plane. We knew we needed to try because of jet lag. We watched a little of "water for elephants" not that good by the way and fell asleep for maybe an hour or two. i tossed and turned and felt so out of it. i took two ambien but they didnt make me sleep any better, just made me feel crazy.

We arrive to Glasgow, pick up our rent a car, it was just the airport but everything felt new. The skies were gray, the people were speaking differently and we knew we figured the rest would be down hill.

Our first hotel was very close to the airport so the ten minute drive of getting used to the new automobile was pleasant. We had a hybrid car with a few odd buttons and Phil was obviously driving on the opposite side of the road in which we were used to. He did well!

We checked in and walked around the city to try and stay awake. it was hard but we were excited. Of course I wanted to go into every shop i'd never seen before but read about in blogs. Primark, Dorothy Perkins, H & M (we don't have one in Columbia) I didnt buy anything because the pound to dollar exchange is so bad, it just didn't feel like a deal.

Primark is a mix between like forever 21 and kmart. it's cheap and trendy and has some very good deals on practical things. There is one in Dundee as well so i'll probably go there often.

I noticed that a lot of people were looking at Phil funny. We were stared out quite a lot. I wasn't really sure why. In the city centre in Glasgow, there are a lot of hip, young, fashionistas and the older people even dressed very fancy. It's not like Phil or I looked out of place, we sort of blended in with our boring colors. I suppose now it was the beard because I only saw about 5 other beards this entire trip and i think one of them was an american beard.

My first impression of Glasgow was neutral. I wasn't looking for anything good or bad but made some observations. It's a busy area, especially for commercial shopping. No one likes to say excuse me! i said it or "sorry" over and over but people just seem to be in a rush. Also most younger ladies loved their hair and make up! I saw some very impressive beehives, bump it styles and eye makeup going on. It felt very "UK" for some reason.

We were becoming hungry. It was almost 6pm Scotland time, but 1pm our body time and we had essentially been awake over 25 hours. We didn't know what to try so we went to this little Ke-Bob place right outside the main shopping area. We ordered a lot! Too much in fact but we weren't sure of the sizes so we went all out! We ordered some meats with pita, a salad, fries, pizza and falafel. It was joined into a combo so it didn't sound like it would be that much (i ordered the pizza as an afterthought) we stuffed our faces and had tons to take back to the hotel.

Everyone who walked by looked at us like we were crazy. Not sure why but we were getting used to the weird looks.

We went back to the hotel, set our itinerary for the rest of the time in Glasgow and hit the sack! Slept a solid 12 hours and started fresh the next day!





No comments:

Post a Comment