Sunday, November 13, 2011

stay awhile!

One of the events that stood out the most yesterday was a film screening of a documentary in progress right here in Dundee! The film is being made by a guy named Dylan Drummond.

I was sitting down on the ground behind him and he was standing up. Even before his film started, I felt the guy had extremely considerable rhythm. He was swaying and jiving during the other short films and I just thought he was a bit eccentric and spirited.

I realized at the end he was the filmmaker. His film titled "Keep the Faith" is about the Northern Soul scene in Dundee. It was a beautifully shot film with great music and all generations of people "feeling the music".

If you're interested in the film or the story please check out the website: keepthefaiththefilm.co.uk

i was grooving from the beginning scene. It wasn't a pretentious piece boasting what little the city of Dundee can boast, it was a narrative about these people who still keep their roots into the soul scene. the music is powerful. I asked Dylan after the screening where these locations are in the city so I can try to go myself and dance with these professional Dundee devotees.

One of the dancer ladies was present. she mentioned the scene is like being part of a gang, a committee or a religion. that it was a faith and you belonged to it. this story comes from the real voices of the dundoneon people! I love it!

Dylan said something like "culture offers a lot to buy into and is very transient and modern - you can switch up your culture day by day, but Northern Soul is loyal to their culture"

The film said to me that dance and music, like art, should be for everyone.

It moved me. Hope you'll check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment